MUMBAI RAINS WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS How the monsoons taught me to enjoy at home
Crystal clear branches of heavy droplets held each other tight as they dived hard from the dull skies into the rising pool of water on the streets of Mumbai. I sat by my window and watched the resentful citizens of Mumbai wade through the waters. A news reporter anchored safely in the water in the middle of the road described a perfectly ruined day. The others walking by were just doing what they did every year, cursed their existence in a country that may never learn a thing or two about upgrading drainage facilities or in this matter, constructing them from scratch.
Disappointed by the fact that another good weekend lost the opportunity to flood Instagram with selfies and stories, I looked up at the sky. The uninvited guest had arrived. Stormy clouds drowned every chance of what could have been a great evening.
I asked myself, what can I do to not regret this day? Making a boat to row in Mumbai’s knee-deep lakes wouldn’t be such a bad idea. It would make a difference instead of having to point fingers at the Government. But until that happens I was bewildered by a question so many of us are not able to find answers to. What should I do at home with all this free time in my hands? So, I came up with a list of things I like to do. Get a hold of these 5 interesting ways to enjoy life at home during the Mumbai rains.
1. Light the stove – Turn on some good old country music or shake your hips to the tunes of Jhinghat, whatever floats your boat this Monsoon. Learning a new dish that is best suited to the Mumbai rains is a cool behind-the-scenes topic when you sit with loved ones at the table. You learn something new, feel positive with good music and will enjoy a pleasant evening.
2. Turn pages – A book is never meant to be sitting cozily in your shelf forever. Dust off that book, do a favour to that novelist and make yourself proud. You’ll enhance your vocabulary and also be entertained by another world of intriguing characters the author so thoughtfully wrote for you.
3. Get into shape – Not exercise but tapping your toes to your favorite beats. Turn it on, make it loud, pump up the base, and make your day count with some positive vibes. Dance to your music just the way you like it and trust me, it’s a day well spent. You will feel re-energized for the coming week.
4. Put it in place – This might not be very exciting for many but the organizing stuff at home does make you feel a sense of productive accomplishment. Think about it, the more you clean up around you, the more you de-clutter your mind. Out with the old, in with the new. Of course, you do this with some light music playing in the background. I’m a fan of self-generated music therapy.
5. Be the new you – Work on grooming yourself. Select the suits or dresses from your wardrobe for the next one week. Work on your Monsoon look, if there is any! Do your hair, paint your nails, or pamper yourself with a homemade facial. I guarantee you’ll be glowing from all the light of ‘them’ burning vibes.
Yes, there’s surely more you can do with your time when you’re under natural calamity’s house arrest. Enjoying life and living up to its expectations is what it’s all about. Got any better suggestions to make other than the list above, be sure to drop in a comment. And don’t forget, Mumbai monsoons work in mysterious ways. Keep smiling 🙂